IL congressman’s retirement announcement sparks calls for election fixes

IL congressman’s retirement announcement sparks calls for election fixes

Spread the love

(The Center Square) – Common Cause Illinois is urging lawmakers to close what it calls an “anti-democratic” loophole after Rep. Jesús “Chuy” García cleared the path for his chief of staff to run unopposed.

García, D-Chicago, filed for reelection on Oct. 27, but minutes before the Nov. 3 deadline, his chief of staff entered the race. The congressman announced he was going to retire the next day, and documents later showed he had signed his chief of staff’s petition in advance, raising concerns about a coordinated effort that watchdogs say denied voters a real choice.

“Voters are sick of political gameplay that robs them of their choices, whether that be through partisan gerrymandering or, as appears to have happened here, coordination to limit the possibility of additional candidates running for an open seat,” said Elizabeth Grossman executive director of Common Cause Illinois. “This is a form of voter suppression.”

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, asked about the controversy during a recent news conference, applauded García’s public service but acknowledged the criticism.

“Look, I have an enormous amount of respect for the career that Chuy Garcia has had,” Pritzker said. “I don’t think that this was the right way to exit. I guess I’m a little surprised that there’s been so much notice of it, but not surprised by people’s reactions.”

U.S. Rep. Marie Gluesenkamp Perez, D-Wash., sidestepped party leadership to push a vote on a resolution criticizing García’s actions. Ultimately, 23 Democrats joined all Republicans in backing the measure, while four voted “present.”

In a video, García announced his retirement to focus on family and health, citing his wife’s battle with Multiple Sclerosis and recently adopted grandchildren. He emphasized he is not leaving the fight for his community, pledging to continue advocating for working families and mentoring the next generation.

“We rise together and we pass the torch with love and responsibility,” he said, thanking supporters for believing in the community’s dignity and opportunity.

Grossman argued the situation exposed a structural weakness in state election law.

“Illinois lawmakers can and should take steps to close these anti-democratic practices,” Grossman said.

García denies wrongdoing and says he retired for personal reasons, but the episode has intensified debates over transparency, incumbency advantage and Illinois’ filing rules.

“One immediate way they can do this is to consider a proposal similar to what Nebraska has, where the filing deadline for incumbents is earlier than other candidates, so there can be no coordinated handoff,” Grossman told The Center Square.

Reform for Illinois board member Ricky Gandhi was also critical of Illinois election law.

“After what happened with Congressman Chuy García and state Rep. Marty Moylan, it’s clear we need to reform our electoral laws to give our residents free and fair elections,” said Gandhi.

Moylan, 74, said health issues contributed to his decision to retire. He made the announcement on the final day of the petition filing period and endorsed his chief of staff, Justin Cochran, as his preferred successor. The timing left little opportunity for additional candidates to file for the seat.

“One proposal is to require incumbents to file for reelection months before the petition period, and if they withdraw during or after petitions, the filing period for that seat would reopen and voters could elect a replacement in a special election,” Gandhi said.

Events

No events

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-10

Manhattan Fire District March 17 Meeting Briefs

Vehicle Updates Progressing: The new Tahoe ordered last year has arrived but will require several months before entering service. The ambulance damaged in December's crash is currently at the body...
Peotone-Junior-High-School-scaled-3

Peotone School Board Briefs

Two Administrators ResignPeotone High School will be seeking a new assistant principal and Peotone Elementary School a new principal following the board's acceptance of two administrative resignations Monday night. The...
Green-Garden-Logo.WP

Green Garden Board Approves Comprehensive Plan Update Despite Opposition

GREEN GARDEN TOWNSHIP — The Green Garden Township Board voted 3-2 to approve a $24,885 contract for updating the township's comprehensive plan during a contentious January meeting, despite requests from...
Green-Garden-Logo.WP

Township Building Renovation Sparks Debate

GREEN GARDEN TOWNSHIP — The current Green Garden Township Hall's future and a planned renovation project became focal points of debate at January's board meeting, with residents and officials offering...
Green-Garden-Logo.WP

Green Garden Township News Briefs

Assessor Outlines Tax Assessment Timeline: Assessor Bushong reported township-level assessments will open January 21, 2025, and close June 13, 2025. She explained the timing issue with the budget approval in...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-5

Manhattan Fire District Advances New Station Construction, Approves $210,000 Ambulance Replacement

The Manhattan Fire Protection District is moving closer to breaking ground on its new fire station, with construction documents expected to be complete next month and a potential groundbreaking scheduled...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-6

Former Peotone Firefighter Mike Shivers Recommended for Fire District Board Position

The Manhattan Fire Protection District board unanimously recommended Mike Shivers to fill a vacant trustee position left by the recent death of Trustee Bill Osborne. Shivers, a former Peotone Fire...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-7

Fire District February 17 Meeting Briefs

New Commissioner Sworn In: Attorney John Motylinski administered the oath of office to Commissioner Anton "Tony" Brncich, who was appointed by the Board of Trustees in December. Brncich officially began...