Trump election interference case in Georgia dismissed

Trump election interference case in Georgia dismissed

Spread the love

Election interference charges in Georgia against second-term Republican President Donald Trump were motioned for dismissal Wednesday by the Prosecuting Attorney’s Council.

In response, the president later in the day said again the 2020 election was stolen. On social media, the second-term Republican called the case the “Fani Willis Witch Hunt” and accused Democrats of orchestrating it.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis had sought to prosecute Trump and his allies, charging them with trying to overturn the state’s election results. Trump became the first president since 1992 to lose, topped by Joe Biden 306-232 in the electoral college votes and 51.3%-46.9% in popular vote.

Willis last year was disqualified from the case after it was revealed she had a romantic relationship with the lead prosecutor Nathan Wade.

Peter Skandalakis, executive director of the Prosecuting Attorney’s Council of Georgia, moved to dismiss the case after taking over the prosecution. He appointed himself, he said, after no other prosecutor would take the case.

Fulton County Judge Scott McAfee signed the order on Wednesday.

In his post, Trump described Willis’ pursuit as an “illegal, unconstitutional and un-American hoax.”

“This case should have never been brought in the first place,” the president wrote.

In a rambling 105-word sentence, he challenged Willis’ ethics; Wade’s credentials for helping the prosecution; Wade’s honesty; and use of taxpayer money by Willis and Wade. He said Willis and Wade acted at the behest of Biden.

Trump has not presented evidence the 2020 election results were rigged. He said Democrats attacked him for telling the “truth” that the election was “stolen.”

The president added, “We have to hold responsible those who attempted to destroy our legal system and nation itself as they tried to use it to silence and imprison political opponents for protecting our country, and exercising our First Amendment rights. The few remaining Democrat witch hunts will soon meet the same embarrassing end.”

The Georgia election interference case was the last pending criminal prosecution against Trump related to the 2020 election. A federal case against him was dismissed after he won reelection last year.

Skandalakis took over the Georgia case after Willis lost a state Supreme Court bid to keep it. He said he could not find another prosecutor willing to advance it, and said he moved to drop it “to serve the interest of justice and promote judicial finality.”

“For all remaining defendants, this disposition meets the criteria for the Georgia Crime Information Center to Restrict access to the criminal history for this arrest…,” the motion said.

Skandalakis said he would have no further comments.

Richard Rose, who leads Communities United for Justice, is one of four Georgians who sued to remove Republican Lt. Gov. Burt Jones from holding office after Jones was accused of scheming to replace Biden’s votes with votes for Trump. Skandalakis announced last year that Jones would not be charged.

Rose told The Center Square in a recent interview that based on that decision, he was doubtful Skandalakis would move forward on the election interference case.

“He’ll come up with some reason,” Rose said. “You should have read his rationale for not having prosecuted Burt Jones. He said he was a nice guy, he didn’t mean any harm. Just silliness.”

Steve Sadow, lead counsel in the election interference case, said the “case should have never been brought.”

“The political persecution of President Trump by disqualified DA Fani Willis is finally over,” Steve Sadow said in a statement. “A fair and impartial prosecutor has put an end to this lawfare.”

Georgia Senate Minority Leader Harold Jones II, D-Augusta, called the dismissal a “setback for justice.”

“I am deeply disappointed in today’s decision, which allows President Donald Trump to evade accountability for his clear violations of Georgia law,” Jones said in a statement. “By dismissing this case, the court has enabled him and his coconspirators to avoid responsibility for their coordinated effort to overturn Georgia’s election results and steal the 2020 election.”

Events

No events

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Green-Garden-Logo.WP

Planning Commission Outlines Three-Step Process for Land Use Plan

GREEN GARDEN TOWNSHIP — The Green Garden Township Planning Commission has established a three-step process for developing the township's new land use plan, with public input opportunities scheduled throughout spring,...
Green-Garden-Logo.WP

Road Projects Face Delays as Commissioner Reports Solar Leases on Needed Land

GREEN GARDEN TOWNSHIP — The planned Sheer Road bridge replacement project has been pushed back to 2026 due to utility issues, and negotiations for needed easements are complicated by solar...
Green-Garden-Logo.WP

Green Garden Township News Briefs – March 2025

Township Property Values Continue Rising: Assessor Bushong reported Green Garden Township's equalized assessed value (EAV) continues to grow rapidly, increasing by $2.5 million in just the first two months of...
Peotone-High-School-scaled-2

Peotone School Board Approves New Curriculum, Welcomes New Administrators

The Peotone Community Unit School District 207U Board of Education approved a new K-5 English Language Arts curriculum and introduced two new administrators during its April 23 meeting at Peotone...
Peotone-School-District

Peotone Students Honored for Academic and Athletic Achievements

The Peotone Board of Education recognized numerous students for their academic and athletic accomplishments during the April 23 meeting. High school sophomore Olivia Robinson was honored as the March Student...
Peotone-Junior-High-School-scaled-2

Peotone School Board Meeting Briefs

Grant Funding Secured: The district received approval for a $2,250 Illinois Literacy Plan Grant to support professional development for the new K-5 ELA curriculum implementation. Combined with $6,200 from an...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-3

Fire District Approves Construction Manager for New Station, Targets May 5 Bid Opening

The Manhattan Fire Protection District selected ICI Build as its construction management company for the new fire station project and is targeting May 5 for opening construction bids. The board...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-15

Fire District Approves Construction Manager for New Station, Targets May 5 Bid Opening

The Manhattan Fire Protection District selected ICI Build as its construction management company for the new fire station project and is targeting May 5 for opening construction bids. The board...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-19

Fire District Expands Health Programs, Considers Cancer Screening

The Manhattan Fire Protection District is expanding its employee wellness initiatives with potential cancer screening through body scans and continuing its successful injury prevention program. The Health and Safety Committee...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-4

Fire District Expands Health Programs, Considers Cancer Screening

The Manhattan Fire Protection District is expanding its employee wellness initiatives with potential cancer screening through body scans and continuing its successful injury prevention program. The Health and Safety Committee...
MFPD-Logo-Fire-District-11

Fire District May 21 Meeting Briefs

Policy Manual Nearly Complete: The district's operational procedures and policy manual is 95% complete, with attorney review and union input ongoing. The complete manual will be presented to the board...
default

Lincoln-Way Board Approves Up to $31.3 Million Bond Sale for Safety, Security Upgrades

The Lincoln-Way Community High School District 210 Board of Education unanimously approved a resolution to issue up to $31.33 million in life safety bonds to fund a wide range of...
frankfort-square-park-district.2

Frankfort Square Park District Approves Budget Amid County Tax Adjustment, Funds Major Projects

The Frankfort Square Park District Board of Commissioners unanimously approved its operating budget for the 2025-2026 fiscal year during its April 17 meeting, earmarking funds for major ongoing projects and...
default

Lincoln-Way School Board Certifies Election, Re-elects Janik as President

The Lincoln-Way Community High School District 210 Board of Education officially reorganized for the upcoming year during its meeting on April 17, certifying the results of the April 1 consolidated...
lincoln-way-school-district.3-scaled-e1750128024313

New Electricity Contract to Save Lincoln-Way Over $500,000 Next Year

Lincoln-Way High School District 210 is poised for significant energy cost savings after the Board of Education unanimously approved a new 54-month electric commodity contract with Direct Energy. The agreement,...